Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Did I choose the wrong Elective?

One of the elective that I select is the Asessment on Performance and Progress. Asessment in the form of test and exam is very important to evaluate the performance and progress of pupils. To me, test and exam should be accurate enough to show these.
The importance of valid and accurate evaluation tools should not be taken lightly as it affect pupils' future. Many a time we were shocked when we received the PSLE results because what is presented is not what is expected.(usually better! Thank God) Actually, what we have been testing them all this while does not accurately show their progress. Normal exam, like SA1 and SA2 is still not considered as summative but formatif because the real summative examination is at the end of the primary school level, that is,PSLE. (Now I know..)

With this realization, I decide to go for the course. Today is my first day attending the course. The lecturer is very good, very entertaining, very clear and very patient (think God get very good lecturers). He was explaining to us how the standard of deviation (equation) was derived. I tell u, all mathematics term and law of physics come out. With only a Grade C in Mathematics during 'O' Level examintaion, I was afraid if I could cope. Already some of us are very apprehensive of the coming assignment. But the lecture Mr Lee OK (Ong Kim for short)ease my fear. Yes I learn things which I might not be able to understand back them when I was doing my A level. Im thankful for that. But I want to take this as a challenge. No matter how confusing it may be, I will persevere beacause at the end of the day, I hope to be able to set a valid assessment tools and this sacrifice is all for my pupils. Amen.

No comments: